Friday 27 July 2012

From Fuzzy to Focused



I would not call myself a reality tv junkie. Far from it. I don't pour over the drama and relationships of these wanna-be celebrities. That being said I must admit that I have learned a lot about how the world works by watching a "useful" reality tv show.

I am following a very strict budget to a debt-free life all thanks to Debt Do Us Part. I didn't realise how much I didn't know about managing money until Gail Vaz-Oxlade came onto my tv screen and into my life. I thought you earned it, you spent it, but in reality there is so much more. I knew enough to put as much as possible towards my student debt but I didn't have the knowledge to make a budget and stick to it (as simple as it is). So although I was paying down my debt, I was ending up in overdraft and paying way too many unnecessary fees (...and making some extravagant purchases).

Not having to stress about where money is coming and going, I have more brain power to focus on my hobbies and what I want in life. Having a plan and a goal for my money has made dreams in my life come into focus and actually seem achievable. So here they are.

1. I will be student debt-free in March 2013 (pending crisis).
2. I will travel more. Starting with Mexico in a few months and saving up for (hopefully) Europe sooner rather than later. (side note: Mr. One and I did NYC and New Orleans within the last year - both absolutely amazing)
3. Furthering my career with a change in scenery. I may go after a few new certifications and land a new job in the big city.
4. Lastly comes moving to said big city.

All of these dreams/goals are do-able and possibly all within 2013. I cannot wait to continue learning and growing. Thank you reality tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment